Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 17: Time to switch it up

So enough of the sweet potatoes. As stated in my last blog, I've been eating too many starchy veggies. So I'm cutting those out completely.

For breakfast I had 1 egg and 3 slices of Canadian bacon. I've gotten to the point that I don't crave bagels or waffles in the morning anymore. But you bet your ass that I want them throughout the rest of the day. And cheese! And cereal.

The sad thing is that when I start to crave certain foods, I think about it as if I've already eaten them. And then I feel full. I can taste the bagel and pretend that I just ate it. And then I don't want it anymore. But damn, the hardest thing is watching TV and seeing all the commercials for food! None of it healthy, obviously. But I know that how I'm eating is healthy and I can ignore the cravings... for a little while.

And I also want to clear up a few things... Nobody has approached me about this, but I feel like it needs to be addressed. The main thing about the paleo diet is eating a lot of lean meats. But that also includes eating meats as natural as possible. This means pasture raised beef, and free-range chickens, etc. I definitely look to make sure I'm eating the meat of animals who have been treated right. If I have to, I'll even order meat online, which I find strange, but a lot of paleo "gurus" do it constantly and encourage it. Whole Foods is about an hour away from me, but when I can go, I'll be sure to stock up on humanely treated animal meat. Only in a money crunch will I buy store brand meat, and even then I have a hard time eating it.

For lunch yesterday, we went out to eat. I ordered a wedge salad with salmon, sprinkled with bacon and olives. I also splurged and got a bloody mary. It's just tomato juice, some spices, and vodka, so it's a pretty paleo friendly drink, although you're really only supposed to drink water. That being said, my salad was delicious. When I got home I googled "Are olives paleo?" And apparently they aren't. Simply because all but one type of olives need to be cured. Also, it's controversial to eat foods that are pickled. So I'm at a loss, since I love olives, probably more than I love chocolate (don't worry, Chocolate! You're still my number 1). I have a lot of thinking to do about this one. What should I do?

After lunch, I had a cup of tea and then crashed on the couch. I didn't have anything else to eat for the rest of the day. I had been awake since 4AM and couldn't even keep my eyes open. I fell asleep watching Titanic. I woke up and that whale movie with John Krasinski was on, lol.

I've been hovering at the same weight for a couple days now, so I'm getting rid of the starchy veggies and eating more lean meat and... non-starchy veggies. Looking up recipes for the crock pot too!

Tah-tah for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment