Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 23: The day Sara ate her weight in veggies

I've been feeling a severe lack of healthy veggies lately.

Since starting this diet, I feel like I've had a love/hate relationship with leafy greens. Probably because I'm not really a huge fan of them. Go figure.

I started at the beginning of January by eating a lot of colorful vegetables, which is fine, because the more color your veggies have, the better they are for you (or so I read). But normally, the more brightly colored they are, the higher the calories and/or carbs. Obviously, if I was a Crossfit junkie this would be perfectly fine. Actually, if I even remotely worked out it might be okay. However, I've mostly been sitting on my ass because it's been so damn cold outside. Tough to get a good workout in. But I've been trying.

Dr. Oz has a great 9-minute workout he aired at the beginning of January. I don't know why it took me until today to decide to do it. And you watch and and you're all like "Psh, that looks easy, I can totally so that!" Ummmm, no. Just no. It's hard. Like really hard. Especially for someone like me who not only hates working out, but hasn't in a loooooooong time! So I'm predicting that I'll be sore tomorrow. I need to learn how to love to sweat. It just ain't happening any time soon.

When I woke up this morning, I had leftover chicken curry. Which, honestly, is amazing, but I won't be making again. Or I will be making again, but with modifications. The original recipe called for canned coconut milk, and holy fat-content, batman! I didn't realize exactly how much fat there really is! So perhaps next time I make it I'll use the icky carton coconut milk, which is severely watered down. I'm sure it won't make much of a difference taste-wise.

Then I played around with recipes for the rest of the day. I tried an awesome Bacon and Egg Cup thingy from Health-Bent.com, but I either need smaller eggs, or bigger slices of Canadian Bacon, because it ended up a mess. A delicious mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Then I had a boring spinach salad. Just spinach, vinegar, some spices and garlic. And it was huge. Like you know those bowls you put salads in to bring to barbeques. I had one of those just full of spinach!

And after eating so much meat over the past 23 days, I was meat-ed out. All I wanted for dinner was veggies. Specifically asparagus. Grilled asparagus. Enter the George Foreman grill! Halle-freaking-lujah! I rolled them in olive oil, salt & pepper, and some garlic, grilled up those babies and ate ALL of them. So you know when you go to the supermarket, and you buy a bundle of asparagus... I ate the whole bundle. By myself. I had a wee-little bit of chicken as well. But, damn, that asparagus hit the spot.

I also had a glass of red wine. Well, about a half glass of wine. And thankfully I did. I can officially say that I take after my sister in that my feet get about 10 degrees warmer after about 2 sips of wine. And my feet are always cold, even in the middle of the summer. So this made me happy!

And that's about it. I didn't have any crazy cravings today. In fact, I saw a Pop-Eye's commercial with deep fried chicken (my old fave) and wasn't even remotely interested.

How 'bout that!

No comments:

Post a Comment