Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 8: Getting inventive!

So I was looking through my brother in law, Drew's "Game of Thrones" cookbook last night, seeing if there was anything I could make while on this diet, since I love the show and just started reading the books. Truth is, most of the dishes call for bread or ingredients that I just can't use. However, I did come across a recipe for beet pancakes. Now, I like beets, but never thought of frying them up into pancakes. And the book said that it goes good with a poached egg.

I basically took that as a challenge. After reading that, I had no intentions of making the beet pancakes (although I will at some point). I remember watching "Julie & Julia" and seeing Amy Adams having a really hard time poaching an egg. So, thank god for the internet, since I read extensively on how to properly poach an egg. It was about 5AM and I hadn't been to sleep yet. I was like, "well, I guess I had better make breakfast!" So, I'll tell you what I did:

I filled a small saucepan with a couple inches of water and added a dash of vinegar. I'm not sure how the vinegar helps, but I read that it keeps the egg together or something. Now, I read that the temperature of the water is the most important thing. You want it in between hot and simmering. It's a tough place to get to, and an even tougher place to stay in, lol! Crack your egg into a small ramekin or something similar, since it's much easier to slip the egg into the water than crack it. Once the water gets to the correct temp, make a whirlpool in the water. Slip the egg into the middle of the whirlpool. It's going to spin and spread out a little, but don't panic, I promise it will come together. Then cook about 3-4 minutes on each side, you'll have to flip the egg over with a slotted spoon. Then, once it's done, let it drain a bit on a paper towel. VoilĂ ! Poached egg! Obviously, there's a ton of other ways to make it and you can also buy an egg poacher, but this seemed to work okay for me on my very first try! I put it on top of a couple slices of Canadian bacon. Delicious!

So now I'm kind of obsessed! After the high of egg poaching, I slept for a few hours. When I woke up, I cooked more! Yum! The great thing about eggs is that they really fill you up!

For lunch, since I can't eat chips and I love love love salsa, I had a few spoonfuls of salsa just because I miss it, lol!

I actually had a dream while I was sleeping that I was eating pizza and pretended that I didn't know it was pizza, lol. For some reason, I felt super guilty when I woke up, as if I actually had eaten it! So in short, I was craving crappy food. I found a recipe to make baked sweet potato fries. Regular potatoes are not allowed on the diet, but sweet potatoes are! So I peeled and cut a sweet potato into long strips, like fries. I melted some coconut oil, about 1 tablespoon or so, and coated the fries in it. Preheated the oven to 450 and put them on a baking sheet. Halfway through I flipped them. Cook for about 25-30 min. Ta-da! Sweet potato fries! Some slices weren't very crispy and some were burnt. I didn't cut the pieces to be all the same, so I guess it's my fault. But it definitely helped curb my craving for bad food. 

Those fries are the most carbs I've had since I started eating this way!

That's about it for today! I'm going to start incorporating some exercise into this diet pretty soon, since it's been giving me a lot of energy!

Have a great night everyone! <3

~Sara  

No comments:

Post a Comment